Thursday, April 16, 2009

McGoddess: Big Macs, Karma, and The American Meal

Going into the comedy performance, I just thought it was going to be a comedian telling jokes about fast food. However, once the show started, I really started to get into it. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I thought she was funny, and I laughed throughout the whole thing. Not only that, but she was very relaxed, and it made the whole atmosphere of the room very comfortable. I was also able to relate to a lot of things she said. For example, she was born in America but was raised with Indian customs; and I was born in America, and was raised with Nigerian customs. For me growing up with Nigerian parents it was very difficult. Like the performer said, "We were not your typically American family", and nor was I. Therefore, as she began to explain the differences in opinions between her parents, and the confusion she went through growing up, I really felt connected in a way to her, because I went through the same things.
One part that I especially liked was when she talked about her father trying to pick up on the slang words she used. My father does the same thing, and it never sounds right!
Overall, I admire her for sharing with us her part of her life story. Doing that put her in a vulnerable position, and made it personal. I think that is why a lot of people enjoyed it. It wasn't ordinary. It was something fresh, and new. It is definitely something I will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment