Sunday, March 29, 2009

Eric Schlosser Review

While watching Eric Schlosser give his speech, I was humbly dazed with how much sense he makes, how real he was and astonished with the similarities that I and I'm sure others had in common with him. As I was listening, I was using a note book to write down my thoughts in and next thing i know I have taken up four pages worth of space filled with things that I felt inspiration from or agreed with. Bobby Mosely's song went nicely with the Eric Schlosser's book "Fast Food Nation" because it said things such as "fury emanating from the slaughter house","always more more more" and it even says something to the effect of this is a fast food nation. In my opinion, Mr. Schlosser was funny and witty man like when he knocked on wood to hopefully not 'jinx' what he had said. One of the most inspiring this that he said was from someone named Fitch and he quoted, " Once there is seeing, there must be acting. Otherwise whats the point in seeing". He said things like "pursue knowledge or be under the control of people that have it". He discussed alternatives to McDonald's like "in and out" burger from where he lives. Of course many facts were included such as 75 percent of visits to fast foo places are impulsive and he says that it is our choice to live long or die young, make the conscious choice. During one point he also touched on my research topic of kids and advertising such as all the commercials include thin, happy people eating the food. It was intriguing to discover that he is interested in colonel sanders history the most out of all fast food places. At the ending, he left us with a stimulating thought that "the future is not known."

No comments:

Post a Comment