Saturday, March 7, 2009

Fast Food Nation

Chapter 3

The first area of research in chapter 3 is the standardization of training and equipment in fast food restaurants. This relates to my life in a couple of ways. The job I have now at the Greene Turtle, which is becoming increasingly "corporate" now has a standardized training program. There are certified trainers in each restaurant to train new employees for each position. In my case I had been bar tending for 8yrs when I started but had to train for 4 days without tips by a person who has about 2 yrs of experience. Both of us thought that the training was pointless but it had to be done. In the book Schlosser showed examples of companies using equipment that could only be used one way so that the employees could be very unskilled and not make any mistakes. To me this is typical of what I call "dumbing down America." I have two sisters who are in high school and the difference in the way they were taught basic skills and the way I was taught shocks me. When I was in school we were not allowed to use calculators for math, now that is how they are taught. My mother tells me of my sisters friends who can not tell time on a normal clock because they are taught to tell time on digital clocks. The fast food model is relative to this because they to train low paid, young people to do one simple task that they can not mess up on but not actual work skills or thinking skills.

The next area of research in chapter 3 is the effect of after school jobs on teenagers. I always had a job as a teenager since the age of 14. I often worked later than I was supposed to and more hours than I was supposed to. Just like Schossler says in the book it was so I could have a car when I was 16. However looking back I see all of the things I missed out on as a teenager. I only played one year of high school baseball because I would rather make money. I only went to one high school dance and missed prom because I had to work. This lead to me getting in trouble, having financial difficulties, not doing well in school, and it was the start of my alcohol use.

Chapter 7

The first area of research in chapter 7 is the loss of the small, locally or family owned meat packing and butcher shops in America today caused by the larger corporate meat packing plants and grocery store chains. This relates to my family directly. My grandfather opened a butcher shop/slaughter house in the late fifties. At the beginning they did everything there from slaughter the cattle to cutting it up and packaging then shipping to individuals and restaurant all over the area. For almost fifty years it was a successful business that employed a good amount of workers in Harford county including my father since he was was 12yrs old. As time went on however and more of the chain grocery stores moved into Harford county with lower prices albeit for lesser quality the business dwindled. I can remember when they had 7 trucks then 5 then 2 then they just stopped the delivery all together. they stopped slaughtering the cattle because of the increased insurance and government regulation costs. Towards the end it was more of a niche store. The only people who would come were the ones who were more well to do and didn't mind paying top dollar for high quality. In 1994 we closed the business because we just could not compete price wise with the larger chains.

Another are of research in chapter 7 is the impact illegal immigrants or migrant workers have on the communities around meat packing plants. This is an issue for every American. Illegal immigration costs this country so much money every year in health care, crime prevention, education and regulation that it is no wonder the country is broke. It is an abomination that American companies are facilitating this and that there friends in government are turning a blind eye to it because they are getting contributions from these companies. America was built on immigrants and I welcome all who want to come here and work hard and be positive law abiding members of society. I believe they have to come here legally and we have to get rid of the ones who don't. The jails are full of illegals that the tax payers are paying for we should just send them back to wherever they came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment