Saturday, February 7, 2009

Around the Corner by Sharon Bryan

Vivid Passage: "My mother seemed to treat the diary-and the boots and jodhpurs, the glamorous pictures of herself that she had sent to my father overseas, her dreams of becoming a famous journalist- as relics of a distant past that no longer had much to do with her. She had left them all behind for life with my father, and me, and eventually my two brothers."

I had chosen this passage because the author described in great detail, how much the mother valued those things because they remind her of the life that she used to live, as well as the life that she had given up in exchange for her becoming a devoted wife and mother.

Vivid to me means a well detailed and clear explanation of something that you can create in your mind when told to you.

The item that stood out to me in "The Things They Carried" was the m&m's that Rat Kiley had carried with him. I'd say it was important to him because it was something that reminded him of the things that he'd taken for granted. It had stood out to me because to me it represents a forgotten luxury-something small that you;d never really miss until your put in a situation where you no longer have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment