Sunday, February 8, 2009

Around the Corner/ Object

1. The essay "Around the Corner" by Sharon Bryan is about a child and her mothers past. Sharon Bryan seems to use the mothers objects as tools to describe her past. However, in the end we learn that her child may not be so pleased with her new mother.

The vivid passage i chose was: "Yet at the same time I basked in the attention my mother lavished on me, I was haunted by the image of the person who seemed to have disappeared around the corner just be I arrived." I think this message is vivid because I think vivid means a colorful description of an object or person that makes it seem more realistic. In this passage Sharonbryan uses words such as "basked" and "I was haunted by the image" to really give me a good image of what she was talking about.

2. In Around the Corner, Sharon Bryan seems to change from being in a happy mood while talking about the mothers past. However, towards the end, I believe she becomes more sad as she misses what she used to take part in.

3. The object or thing that stood out the me the most in "The Things They Carried" was "the responsibility for the lives of his men" that Jimmy Cross carried. This really stood out to me, because as we all know, he felt it was his fault that Lavender died, and if he wasn't so worried about Martha, he may have been able to save his life. This passage also stands out ot me because responsibility is a minor flaw of mine, and the story really shows the importance of being responsible.

No comments:

Post a Comment