Sunday, February 8, 2009

Things They Carried

In my opinion vivid means something that stands out and catches the eye.While reading "Lights" I came across a line that to me was vividBut there were times-who knows why?-when drunk or high, stubborn,or simplylost in that glide to somewhere else,the driver just kept driving in teh dark,and all down the block we'd hear yelling from doorways and stormfronts,front steps,and other corners,voices winking on like fireflies:"Lights!Your lights!Hey, lights!"I would have never have compared voices to fireflies but by using those words it captured a vivid image in my head.Comparing fireflies to humans showed how fast people were yelling about the drivers lights.

In "An Unspoken Hunger" the author says ,"With the green fleshy boats in hand,we slice vertical strips from one end to the other." This is gave a good visualization in my mind of how exactly they cut the avacado. The author used good words to describe what he wanted to portray.

2.In"Lights" by Stuart Dybek the author describes the excitement of waiting for night to come so they can watch the traffic.They would see a car without lights and yell "Lights" and then the driver would respond with a immediate thanks,flickering of lights, or a honk.On some occasions there would be a stubborn driver and they would not respond back nor would they turn their lights on.

In "An Unspoken Hunger" by Terry Tempest Williams the author describes how making this meal is not only hard but while eating this meal you could risk blood from your tongue.The author went from explaining how to make this meal to eating this meal with graphic words.

3.The object that stood out for me in "The Things They Carried " was earplugs that Dave Jenson carried because it was something so simple that I would have never thought about. I would neveer think of a solider carrying this because if he is wearing ear plugs then how can he hear orders or gun shots. I mean if they are being attacked at night and he is asleep and his friend next to him is whispering something he would be unable to react .I could see in my head this solider wearing ear plugs while in the tunnel sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment