Sunday, February 8, 2009

The things they carried/ Volar

Volar.

1. "Not abruptly. She would light a cigarette and look out the kitchen window"

This motion to me makes me feel a connection, I can see it clearly and even think I can understand what shes feeling. It specifically makes me realize her patience and I know she wants more out of life.

Vivid to me is when certain descriptive words induce almost lifelike, or very realistic, images in your mind


2. In this essay the author realizes towards the end that her and her mothers dreams are very similar. Although her mother appears patient about it they want more out of life and both aren't to keen about waiting for unrealistic dreams to come true.


3. What stands out most to me in "The Things They Carried" is the focus of the story. The letters from Martha are so sentimental to the Lieutenant that by the end they bring him down. He puts himself in a reckless daydream clutching his letters, making them reality, taking away from the bitter truth of whats going on around him. By the end he has to go as far as to burn the letters to rid of the daydreams and take his mind somewhere else, to a realisation that where he was men were dieing because of "carelessness" and it was worlds away from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment