Friday, February 6, 2009

Vivid Passage/Object from "The Things tThey Carried"

Around the Corner by Sharon Bryan

1. Vivid passage: I was grateful for the sort of mother she was-she had milk and cookies waiting when I came home from school, packed my lunches in the morning. Every holiday was full of treats and surprises: a present by my plate on Valentine's Day, eggs hidden all over the house on Easter morning, Kool-Aid in my thermos on my birthday.
I chose this passage because the author gave details about why she's grateful for the mom she is, actual specific things her mom does for her such as surprises and treats on holidays. In my opinion vivid is giving clear details that a reader can imagine in their head. I know I could picture this passage in my head especially because my mom would do the same things.

2. I believe the author is trying to say that even though she's grateful for her mom and who she has become today that she regrets and blames herself for her mother not pursuing her dreams and believes she gave up her life for her family. Even though her mother seems happy with her life and the daughter loves the attention she can't help but feel selfish that she took everything away from her mother.

3. The object that stood out to me the most was the pebble Martha gave Lieutenant Jimmy Cross. This object was important to him because she gave it to him as a good luck charm and as a token of her truest feelings for him. The pebble stood out to me because it was something so simple yet so special to him that he kept it in his mouth during hot days and tasted the sea salt. Just the way she described where and why she got it stayed in my mind through out the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment