Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Things They Carried/ Lights/ An Unspoken Hunger

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
In "The Things They Carried", by Tim O'Brien, the object that stood out the most to me was the diary that was carried by Norman Bowker. The story did not elaborate on the importance of the object to Norman, but I can relate to carrying a diary. I think that carrying the diary was important to Norman. "The things they carried were largely determined my necessity". I think that Norman carried the diary so that if he survived, he could look back at the diary, and read his story, his version of what happened. I think even if he did not survive, someday someone will come across it and read his story. Everyone has a story, and I think Norman just wanted to share his story to anyone who was willing to listen.

Lights by Stuart Dybek
"In summer, waiting for night, we'd pose against the afterglow on corners, watching traffic cruise through the neighborhood. Sometimes, a car would go by without its headlights on and we'd all yell, "Lights!"
When I read this passage, I was able to visually see what the author described in my head. Vivid means clear, and distinct. The author's mood changes from the beginning of the story to the end. In the beginning, it seemed like he was recalling a fun memory from his childhood, but towards the end of the story he seems to be agitated with the drivers who would not put their headlights on.

An Unspoken Hunger by Terry Tempest Williams
"With the green fleshy boats in hand, we slice vertical strips from one end to the other."
This sentence stood out to me the most because, I can visually see her (or someone) cutting the avocado into vertical strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment