Saturday, February 7, 2009

Objects from "The Things They Carried"

In the "The Things They Carried" the object or objects that stood out there to me the most was Kiowa's New Testament Bible. I chose this object because in any time of a crisis people tend to think about religon in their time of need. Now I understand that you are in a area that you know nothing about and you are afraid and I can undestand carrying it with you. Mainly men tend not to believe in reilgon but only in the time that they think that they are going to die. I guess the author Tim O'Brien wanted to show that even the biggest toughest men have some side of religon. All of the other men carried practical things like the necessities of a tooth brush and other personal hygeine items but O'Brien also wanted the readers to know what item was very special to each person fighting in the Vietnam war. On Page 9 of the novel it says: "Kiowa always took along his New Testament and a pair of moccasins for silence". To me this also showed me that this is a solider who kept to himself alot during this hikes.

I think vivid means the clear and precise. For a picture to be painted in your head, the image description has to be vivid and clear to understand it.

Vivid Passage: Volar
Once on the roof, my parents safely asleep in their beds, I would get on tip-toe, arms outstrechted in the postion flight and jump out my fifty story high window into the black lake of the sky. From up there, over the rooftops, I could see everything, even beyond the few blocks of our barrio; with my X-ray vision I could look inside the homes of people who interested me.

I chose this passage because I think that the author did a wonderful descprition of how a childs mind works when they are imagining or dreaming about things. I particuarly liked how the author described the sky as being a "black lake". I thought the word usage of the sky being as a lake was very nice and poetic. I know as a child I used to have dreams or imagine things that I would like to, like flying was my thing. The author did a great job caputuring a childs imagination at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment