Saturday, February 7, 2009

Vivid Passage: Around the Corner by Sharon Bryan

1) My mother seemed to treat the dairy – and the boots and jodhpurs, the glamorous pictures of her self that she had sent to my father overseas, her dreams of becoming a famous journalist as relics of a distant past that no longer had much to do with her. She had left them all behind for life with my father, and me, and eventually my two brothers.
I choose this passage because the author described how her mother valued her dairy, boots, jodhpurs, and her dreams of becoming a journalist, still she forget all about it because of the love she had for her husband and children and the need to be a good mother. Therefore, she treated all those things as relics of a distant past that no longer had much to do with her and focus on loving and caring for her family.
1b) To me vivid means producing powerful feelings or strong, clear images in the mind.
2) The author changed the tone of her story when she said she was hunted by the image of the person who seemed to have disappeared around the corner before she arrived, perhaps the father.
3) The Object from the Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien that stood out to me was Mitchell Sanders, the RTO that carried condoms. It is funny having condoms at war because it is unusual. However those who carry bible for protection or pebble for good luck charm, Mitchell Sanders carries condoms for sexual protection. Being human, I guess for him it is necessary too.

No comments:

Post a Comment